An environmental certificate for a product is an official document that confirms the safety of the goods themselves, as well as the processes associated with their manufacture, delivery, storage and operation. It is issued based on the analysis of the enterprise’s activities and the properties of the assortment it produces.
Obtaining a certificate is a voluntary decision of a company that wants to obtain marketing advantages in the market.
Summary of the article:
Types of environmental certificates
Currently, the document is drawn up in several voluntary certification systems (VTS), which differ, including in the conformity mark. In the market, 5 types of voluntary labeling in the field of ecology are most in demand – these are:
- “ECO”. The certification is carried out within the framework of applying the principles of the standard STO-50745314-001-2019. The assessment process confirms that at the stages of production, storage, delivery, marketing, application and disposal of products, the risks of harm to the environment are minimized. The certificate can be obtained for food, cosmetics, household chemicals, textiles.
- “BIO”. It involves checking two aspects of the enterprise. The first is the composition of the finished product: at least 70% must be biological raw materials. The second is the safety of the production process for the environment. The conformity assessment procedure is regulated by STO-50745314-002-2019. Bio-certification is most in demand for food, cosmetics, detergents.
- “Without GMO”. It involves the study of the composition of finished products in the laboratory for the content of genetically modified organisms. The assessment is carried out for food products.
- “Organic”. It involves checking the conformity of products to the requirements that are formulated in 280-FZ of 03.08.18. It is carried out in relation to food products that are manufactured without the use of pesticides, GMOs, ionizing radiation, agricultural chemicals. It is permissible to use only a certain list of food additives in production, and companies should abandon plastic packaging. “Organic” production lines must be separated from “regular” ones.
- “Voluntary certification ISO 14001”. Confirms that the organization has implemented environmental management principles in production that meet the requirements of the international standard ISO 14001. EMS (environmental management system) is based on principles such as leadership leadership and personnel involvement, a process approach to management, care for consumers and the environment, continuous improvement and documentation, etc.
What are the benefits of environmental certification?
You can get a certificate both for the product itself and for the process of its production. Conformity assessment is carried out exclusively on a voluntary basis, it is most in demand among manufacturers and suppliers:
- food products;
- building materials;
- perfumery and cosmetics;
- household chemicals;
- agricultural raw materials;
- cosmetic products.
Any enterprise, regardless of the field of activity, organizational and legal form and location, is entitled to undergo certification. From the standards existing in this area, you have the right to choose the one that suits specifically the tasks of your enterprise.
Voluntary conformity assessment provides an organization with the following competitive advantages:
- strengthening consumer confidence in the brand;
- the possibility of selling goods through specialized stores of eco-products, healthy food;
- obtaining documentary evidence of the safety of the production process and the products themselves;
- the possibility of setting a higher price for products;
- attracting new business partners and investors;
- building a positive brand reputation;
- stimulating demand for goods and increasing the company’s revenue;
- increased chances of winning in competitions and tenders;
- the ability to enter the international market with your product, etc.
After passing the assessment procedures, the entrepreneur gets the right to affix the “ECO”, “BIO” or “ORGANIC” mark on the packaging, in the shipping documentation, and use it for advertising purposes.
How are the assessment procedures carried out?
Evaluation of the environmental friendliness of a product or production process begins with an entrepreneur’s appeal to specialists. Experts analyze information about the specifics of the business and help the client choose the standard and the most profitable conformity assessment scheme.
To carry out the appraisal procedures, the entrepreneur will need:
- application for certification;
- scans of OGRN and TIN;
- company card with bank details;
- detailed description of manufactured products with full composition, information on technological processes;
- technical documentation for goods (TU, GOST or STO);
- mandatory documentation for products in accordance with the legislation of the Russian Federation and the EAEU (certificates, declarations, SGR, etc.);
- other necessary documentation (at the request of experts).
After receiving all the requested documents and information, experts organize their verification and analysis. Further, laboratory studies are carried out, control of the state of production with a visit to the enterprise and other assessment activities.
Based on the evidence received, a decision is made on the possibility of issuing a certificate. Depending on its type and conformity assessment scheme, the validity period of the document can vary from 1 to 3 years.
To learn about environmental certification, follow the link https://promotest.ru/services/ekologicheskij-sertifikat.