Owners of cottages quite often attach a veranda or a terrace with their own hands to the house. On the veranda in a private house, you can arrange holidays with friends not only in summer, but also in winter (then it is also advisable to insulate the walls). More projects of beautiful terraces and verandas will be discussed in this article.
Summary of the article:
What are terraces and verandas
Before building a terrace or veranda, study their main varieties.
There are several types of buildings:
The closed annexes are aimed at extending the space of a private house. You can make the structure deaf or swing.
If done with glass, you can enjoy beautiful scenery, but protect your porch from inclement weather.
Insulating the veranda will create another room, and you can enjoy meetings in cold weather.
Position the extension so that plenty of sunlight can enter. Hang curtains in neutral colors to create a cozy atmosphere.
Open terraces in a private house have simpler components. They can be designed as a covered canopy with railings. This will be a kind of continuation of the porch.
The project can be done even before the start of building a house. Such buildings are a versatile option for summer vacations.
When choosing furniture, give preference to models that are resistant to sunlight and do not need special care.
The main types of terraces are:
- Attached to a private house. When building, you need to think over the base. A rack made of metal, natural wood or brick is often used.
- Standing apart. Construction can be carried out anywhere on the site. First you need to prepare a concrete foundation. It should rise 10 cm above the ground surface. You can also install a fireplace inside. For construction, moisture-resistant materials are used, since the veranda to the house will be open from either side.
- Along the perimeter of the house. First you need to make a high-quality foundation that can withstand the entire structure. You can fully glaze the terrace or consider partial fences. You can also leave it open.
Also, terraces in a private house are classified according to the materials used:
- Brick. They are characterized by strength, but impressive costs will be required.
- Wooden. No base is required as the wood is lightweight. However, the material must be pre-treated with special substances that will increase the service life.
Features of the
The base of the veranda with a terrace should consist of beams and racks, on top of which a canopy is laid. If possible, consider a columnar, linear or pile foundation – this is not necessary. However, the base allows sofas, tables and armchairs to be installed in the extension.
Often the structure is installed on previously prepared soil, without a foundation. First you need to remove 10-15 cm of fertile soil, and pour a small “pillow” of sand and gravel. On top, you need to lay large-sized tiles for the sidewalk. Next, you need a floor strapping.
The floor must be made so that water falling on it can drain. Below you need to put a water collector, and attach a pipe to it. Then take her out in the opposite direction from the terrace.
Remember to make the slopes in the direction of the sump.
It is important to think about where the extension will be located. For this, several factors must be taken into account. To get started, study the information and drawings that are easy to find on the Internet. Consider also how long the selected side will be illuminated by the sun.
Another important factor is the landscape from the site.
Better if the terrace overlooks the garden or utility yard. Think in advance what shape the extension will have – a circle, rectangle, square or pentagon.
Also consider what size you can create. It all depends on the amount of free space and budget.
Popular design styles
It is important to think over what style the terrace near the house will be decorated in.
Today the following styles are considered the most common:
Modern has strict forms and laconicism. When choosing furniture, choose simple models. They can be designer or versatile.
When arranging a terrace in a classic style, you can think of several forged elements and various baseboards. Columns can be an alternative to support.
For a colonial style, you will need to combine classics and colorful elements. Among the features of the style are practicality, beauty, symmetry and comfort. You can complement the interior with fresh flowers. A wrought-iron bench, pergola or porch for a private house with white railings and unusual balusters is used as an accent.
To arrange an extension in a beach-style dacha, think over the materials for decoration and construction in advance. It is recommended to use a composite deck in gray tones or cedar wood paneling.
The rustic style is a combination of wood and metal. Furniture should be simple and a bit dated.
Interior decoration methods
Designers advise using the following materials for interior decoration to the country terrace:
- Lining. This stuff is pretty tricky. Better to use solid wood flooring. In this case, take into account the drying out, which is inevitable after fixing the lining. You can also use MDF board. In high humidity conditions, it will lose its appearance.
- Decorative plaster. It is a mixture that forms a unique finish on the wall after drying. You can use multi-colored and textured plasters to create a design. It can be a stone variety that mimics the texture of a stone. Venetian, which is typical of marble. There is also colored and silk decorative plaster.
- PVC panels. They are quite comfortable as they take any necessary shape. PVC panels are characterized by resistance to high temperatures and humidity, light weight.
- MDF panels. For outbuildings, a coating is used, the thickness of which is about 1 cm. They are resistant to both low and high temperatures. High sound insulation is noted. Installing panels is easy. The only drawback of this material is that it is not resistant to high levels of humidity. It is necessary to close all the ends, and cover the chips. This will prevent deformation of the slabs.
Wallpaper should not be used for interior decoration. Under the influence of unfavorable environmental factors (wind, rain, sun rays, etc.), they will quickly become unusable.
Photo gallery interesting examples of terraces and verandas
Do you want to know what beautiful extensions for relaxation and meeting with friends look like? Use a photo collection. This will make it easier for you to choose the location of the extension and the design style.
It is useful to know that a terrace and a veranda can be added to the house. This allows you to create an additional space for the summer reception of guests. However, if you insulate the walls, then you can use the additional room for winter recreation.