Autumn is not only harvest time and preparation for winter. This is the best time to plant horticultural crops. But what if there are doubts about whether “is it possible to transplant a culture in the 3rd quarter?” As well as what shrubs and when you can plant, we will tell below.
Brief content of the article:
When to plant shrubs in autumn
Trees, shrubs, that is, planting fruit and berry bushes in the fall, is the most optimal time of the year. Also, during this period, there is definitely more choice of plants for planting, in terms of: quantity, quality and varieties.
Bushes are planted in 25-30 calendar days, i.e. before the start of severe frosts!
If everything is done on time, then the root system will have time to grow and adapt to a new planting site in the country.
And in the spring, the bushes in the garden will immediately begin their growing season. This suggests that the timing of the autumn transplantation of shrubs is 100% suitable for the seasonally established nature, when shrubs can be transplanted.
Depending on the region, the landing dates will be different, where the next month is recommended:
– for gooseberries – landing is better in October;
– for red currants – September will be the best;
– for grafted roses – this is mid-October.
Also, you need to take into account one more point, if it turned out to be “Indian summer” and even hot in September, with the planting of shrubs, it is better to wait and wait until the heat ends.
Well, if in winter, severe frosts hit, then it is possible that such a severe bad weather will ruin not fully matured plants and the planting of shrubs in the fall will be nullified.
Autumn planting technology
As for shrubs – raspberries, currants, gooseberries, usually the technology of planting them is violated by gardeners, from ignorance of elementary rules.
- After the seedling is planted, leave a distance of 40-50 cm from the soil and cut off the unnecessary part of the plant with garden shears.
Important: Even if the trunk of the bush, after “wintering”, “dries up”, it is not as important as the preservation of the buds, which are located next to the root collar.
It is from these buds that powerful shoots will grow in the new season from which the crop will grow. But for this, another factor is important – this is the survival rate of the bush.
- Raspberries need to be buried as deep as they were before planting.
Important: The buds at the root collar should be practically near the surface of the ground or, in extreme cases, they are 1-2 cm buried.
- As for planting currants and gooseberries, these shrubs are deepened from the root system by 5-10 cm.
- Immediately after planting, count from ground level, up 4 buds and above the last one with an indent of 3-5 mm – cut off the seedling with garden shears.
Comfortable distance for shrubs
Shrubs are planted 1-1.5 m from a neighboring object.
Since the shrubs do not grow in one season, therefore, the free distance between them can be filled by planting with bulbous annuals.
Preparing the landing pit
- Between shrubs and rows, a distance of 2.5 m is maintained.
- The size of the pit should be the following parameters: depth – 50-70 cm and width – 70×70 cm.
Chip: In order for the hole to be flat, it is necessary to mark it with pegs. If the hole is square, insert 4 stakes into the ground, and if it is round, put a stake in the middle and dig in it to the required diameter.
- The dug hole must stand for 3 calendar days so that it is “saturated” with oxygen.
- Then, add fertilizer to it in turn in the form of humus and superphosphate, for the normal growing process.
Important: All fertilizers must be added in the proportion in which they are recommended by the manufacturer.
When choosing a place and preparing a pit, clarify in advance such a moment: does the plant belong to the shade or does it still need a lot of sun? And starting from the correct information, dig a hole in the right place. When the pit is ready, you can plant a planting crop.
Features of planting ornamental shrubs
These include: “Potentilla” or “Kuril tea”, “bladderwort”, “panicle hydrangea”, etc.
The best moment for the autumn planting for a gardener is to plant shrubs in the drizzling rain.
- First, clear the ground, remove the layer of weeds – the soil must be clean.
- For shrubs, they do not dig a deep hole measuring 40×40 cm.
- Then, you need to add fertilizer to the ground and mix everything with a shovel.
Important: Shrubs, must be buried 5 cm into the ground. This is necessary so that they are stable in the soil and branch better.
- We put the seedling in the hole and bury it. Then we trample the soil with the sole of the foot.
- Even if the soil is moist, water the plant with at least 10 liters of water.
Features of planting fruit bushes
Planting fruit trees and shrubs in the fall is carried out as follows: in the prepared planting pit, first you need to send – a bucket of vermicompost. Then a portion of the organo-mineral fertilizer is added. Mix everything well with a shovel.
Important: Green buds should be developed on the root collar of a fruit shrub. They are clearly visible, they are soft green in color. Do not damage them in any way!
- When planting, the shrub is buried 20 cm so that the green buds are underground.
- The buds, which will go into the ground during planting, will give “growth” powerful shoots in the spring.
- And those buds that remain above the ground simply form the crop.
- The shrub can “sit” both vertically to the soil and at an angle of 45 degrees.
- Many berry bushes – shoots should grow in spring.
- Part of the earth from the planting pit, you need to sprinkle the shrub. “Spill” it well with water – a watering can without a nozzle.
Important: You cannot forcefully compact the soil with your hands, otherwise you can break the kidneys.
- When the water is absorbed, add the rest of the soil. Drizzle with water a second time.
- Next, you need to cut the ground part of the shrub into 2-3 buds.
Chip: If there are live buds on the cuttings, in this case, you can bury them in the ground for reproduction or share with neighbors.
Based on the foregoing, we can draw the following conclusion – planting shrubs is inherently not difficult, you just have to take into account the “light” recommendations, which are “reflected” above and later, the question of the form: “how to plant a plant correctly?” – will be completely “exhausted”. In this case, shrubs will delight you with their “stature” and fruits.